Thursday, May 15, 2008

Transformation

Death is a curious thing... life presents us with several ways of confronting this inescapable truth, and many opportunities to prepare for it... but somehow it's near impossible to anticipate completely what effect it will have on you.


My grandmother passed away a few months ago. Her already deteriorating health suddenly plummeted faster than anyone could have predicted and she was gone in a matter of two weeks. I managed to meet her only once before she left, a strange experience in which she taught me one of life's greatest lessons while lying prone and speechless in the ICU.


I flew across the country to see her one last time, because the doctors had indicated that there was little that could be done to ease her suffering any further. While preparing to visit her, and on the flight, my mind brimmed with a thousand memories of her love and the care that she lavished on me... and throbbed with a searing regret of how many times I had lost the opportunity of spending some time with her... an opportunity that I would never get again. I clung to her image in my mind, begging anything and anyone that might be listening to keep her for me, give me a chance to meet her at least once... restore her to health etc.

She lay on the hospital bed, wired to the complicated lot of devices that ICU patients have to bear with. Her face and body were bloated with toxins that had permeated her blood, her breath came in strained gasps and her limbs lay paralysed, inert. A weak inarticulate sound escaped her lips involuntarily as she stared at me, without expression. That was when it struck me... as quick and potent as lightning...

My grandmother, the being that I love so much was not really that body. The body lying on the hospital bed was all but devoid of her consciousness and intelligence. In the absence of that, it would be just a shell... just like one of the great big kaftans she used to wear out and then exchange for another. The Being that brought me up and showered me with love and care was was much more than that body. The body was a vessel but the love that came was more - sort of like a the relationship that a tap has with water.

The Being that was  Nani wanted to be free and move onto the next leg of its great journey. It, could never be harmed, could never be ill, could not be broken. Those things happened to the body - like the wear and tear that happens to clothes we wear for a long time The body remained alive only because of the life support system that forced oxygen through it... Death, to this Being would be little more than the experience of waiting in an airport. It was time to take flight...

It was in that moment that I learnt to let go. I let go of the mental grappling hooks with which I was clinging to her image. I let go of the attachment to her physical form, because for the first time I truly understood what Nani really was (or IS)... that we are all more than the bodies that we see in the mirror. My thoughts clung to a tangible form while my real love was for an intangible spirit. And that's when it struck me again... my love had ALWAYS been for the intangible. While 'alive', my grandmother's love had been expressed/ manifested through a body, but the body itself was never the source of that love. The love came from her spirit, her consciousness that connected with mine. And that is indestructible and ever present... I feel it even as I type these words and I felt it even in the ICU, as I thought about what I've expressed so far. She never needed a body to love me... love is much much greater than the medium through which we choose to channel it.

And now, I realise... I still love my grandmother very much. While sometimes I still feel sad about her demise, I know that my grief is for the destruction of the physical form to which I had grown attached. Sooner or later, that grief will wear itself out, but my connection to Nani will endure because it does not belong in space and time...it's bigger than that...

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

our existence centered around mind,which is the focal point of wordly activities;our focus should be in understanding/obtaining vision of immortality of soul.

Rati Parker said...

Hi Viru,

I lost my mum last year,at around the same time as ur Nani in almost similar circumstances nd u have voiced so eloquently what I felt.......by the way, I was not aware of your writing talents!

Lotsa love

Aunty Rati

Anonymous said...

Sorry to hear about your grandmother...a very moving post though, I must say.

Unknown said...

Viru ur nani is indestructible in spirit..i feel her around me even as i write here...the last two weeks that i spent with mom were timeless because I knew she was gone but in physical form still remained as all her near and dear ones tried to fervently hang onto her...i still remember vividly her last heave as her heart gave way and she turned gray..and viru i saw the last vestiges of life ebb out of her...there was commotion all around..i just clutched onto her hand and held her face looking for the telltale signs of some hope..viru life taught me my greatest lesson that day....dont take your parents for granted...i am her culprit and am facing the consequences of taking my mummy for granted...she is in another realm ,a free spirit...god bless her soul..she gave me alot of strength and now that reservoir is empty...the tears keep falling and the silence is deafening...I miss you mummy alot...please forgive me mom, i came home but you couldn't wait any longer...i took ur time for granted...

love is boundless and limitless...it has no form,no shape or size..love with a full heart and sacrifice deeply for that true love...

God bless..lopa

Anonymous said...

lovely!!!

i understood this sometime before my grandfather passed away[ i called him bapuji cause he was more a father than a grandfather].an extremely eneergetic man,who went through 4 strokes[ i jokingly called him a 4 stroke engine-the best kind:) ]
but the last one really took him out.and it was a very painful sight.i used to just sit by him and listen to him talk endlessly and i would sing to him.
for all sorts of reasons i could not be by his side when he went away... but i felt him go and spoke to him[ i truly dont know if what took place was real or not... but i felt him go and then found out an hour later that he had gone!!!] at 5 in the morning. i woke up to his call and heard him tell me to come. i told him i am trying, but felt the pain of his body. so i told him that he is with me and to go and that i would sing to him to ease the pain and so i sang for the next 2 hours...the only raag i knew...

VirD said...

Thank you Kunal... I'm not sure if we've met, but I'm honoured by your willingness to share this memory with LifeStrings and me. On occasion I sang a little for Nani over the phone, much to her delight. I never managed to sing for her in person, but I believe she listens to everything I sing now... whether through my voice or in my mind. :)

Anonymous said...

Lovely post!

I just happened upon your blog and have been enjoying the last 30 minutes going through some of your posts...

Will be visiting regularly from now on. :)

Vinod