Thursday, August 03, 2006

On The Edge of Rain

There are times when the universe conspires, however briefly, to put you in a spot where you feel dwarfed and empowered all at once. I found myself in such a spot just a few days ago. At the time, I was on my way back from work, walking towards my apartment block, enjoying the breeze that ruffled my hair and swept away a day's worth of weariness. In my right hand I clutched my umbrella (a logical extension of the pedestrian's body if one happens to live in Mumbai during the monsoon!), although I didn't expect to use it anytime soon; it hadn't rained all day and although the skies were overcast, I doubted the probability of a downpour before I reached home. I think this was the point when God gave me an impish grin and said "Oh yeah?"...

I was barely 50 feet from the entry to my building when I heard the initial patter of raindrops accelerate to a near-deafening roar within five seconds. Since I don't like getting drenched when I'm in office-wear, it was decidedly unpleasant to find that the button that opens my umbrella was stuck! It was at this mildly panic stricken moment that I realised I was dry as a bone even though I could still hear the rain. That's when I looked up and witnessed the cosmic joke I was busy being the butt of...

Sure enough, the rain was coming down ('cats and dogs' was a phrase that leapt to mind), but it was nowhere near me...it was like I was standing outside a tent of some kind. My building was being pelted by it, but I was standing just outside the range of the water...

I've never experienced anything of the kind. A curtain of rain was between me and the apartment block and while I gaped at the phenomenon, I all but forgot my efforts to work the errant umbrella I was still struggling with (all of the above was happening pretty fast, by the way!). Somewhere in the midst of my wonder, I realised what I was happening. I was standing just a little out of the range of the rainclouds that were moving over my building and the breeze that I'd been enjoying just a little while ago, was blowing them steadily in my direction.

It's quite something to stand on the very edge of the rain. It's like you're watching an impossibly large ship advance towards the shores you are standing on...you're awed by its colossal form, but somewhere inside, a part of you identifies with its magnificence and dignity, almost as if you are equals. That's how I felt as I watched the rain from outside its perimeter... I felt marvel at the sight that spread before me but felt strangely uplifted in the knowledge that I was the only one who was witnessing this phenomenon. I still get goosebumps when I think about it!

The flickering sheets of water were now a lot closer...a couple of seconds more and I would have to kiss dry clothes farewell! Almost on cue, the annoying button of the umbrella relented and the contraption sprang into action, opening out even as I hoisted it over my head in considerable haste! It was just a second before the edge of the rain washed over me. I actually felt the vibrations of it as it crossed over my umbrella and I couldn't help but imagine that from God's aerial perspective it would have looked like chocolate sauce being poured over a large nut (if that makes no sense to you, it's alright! I've really struggled to describe this experience)... :)

1 comment:

Urvashi said...

chocolate sauce being poured over a large nut
I think I understand what you are trying to say, especially the nut part!! ;)
It's like you felt small in front of this whole cosmic event but at the same time felt like a part of it. Or I'm jsut talking out of my hat! :D