Saturday, April 29, 2006

The Bangalore blogs : 2 : Missing Links Found

It's strange how two people can lead oddly parallel lives, geographically apart, one perhaps a little ahead of the other or at times behind it, but still largely corresponding in terms of some key events, feelings and experiences.

Last night was all about attaining some closure that I had desired for a long time. It was about conquering once more, the gaps in relatedness that Time had struggled to place between my dearest friend and myself. The last few days demonstrated that our friendship transcends space and time. Nevertheless, on occasion, there were little reminders that we had missed out on many things in each others' lives...important defining moments and happenings. It was time to bridge those gaps...

Coffee is really overrated in its heated form...give me a frappe or a milkshake any day! A well air conditioned cafe, comfortable leather seats, a chilled, frothy mango milkshake for me and a nice looking chocolate one for my friend were the ingredients to create the atmosphere in which we would attempt to sum up many of the sorrows and joys of the past along with hopes for the future.

A couple of hours later, I gave silent thanks to the Universe for conspiring to arrange the wonderful interaction that had left me entirely bereft of the sense of loss that I felt when I thought about how much of my friend's inner experiences I had been unaware of in the past and how often I was unable to be there for him when a good friend would have been an ideal comfort ( it's an irrational thought when you consider that for eight years we lived in different parts of the country, but thoughts are easily overrun by emotions; to be aware of the irrationality and to allow oneself the space to experience and accept and resolve it is the key).

We'd shared much of what had changed and shaped us in the years...some difficult and emotionally charged memories were relived. Friendship can be so therapeutic, you know...at least when one has unconditional acceptance and lack of judgement in it. When the waiter finally cleared away the tall glasses in which the residual froth had made its slow descent to the bottom of each glass, we had discovered a great deal about each other... These were the missing pieces that I had wanted to assimilate...the final picture was one of two lives parallelling each other as mentioned earlier. There were sorrows that moistened my eyes, there were tales of hope and love, and there was a discovery of hidden strengths and resources which makes me feel certain that somewhere, somehow our life paths are intertwined. Bangalore was destined for a confluence of these paths...and now I feel there is something guiding us towards a future for which the past has been a long and secret preparation...It makes me feel deeply grateful and blessed many times over.

No comments: