Sunday, March 12, 2006

Live...That's What She Does Best

Let me tell you about my friend Aastha (Hindi for "Faith"). I feel like writing about her because having her around reminds me consistently of the fact that there are volumes to be experienced from life's simplest experiences.

You know, there are people who don't really have to do anything other then be themselves to become the life of the party...the unabashed laughter that rings out loud just when people are busy trying to look "appropriate"? Well, that's Aastha for you!

She's the person who will work hard to make sure that a project is completed efficiently, but will refuse to let the demands of the situation dampen her free spirit. She is the planner who will not only think about, but go ahead and arrange a whole bunch of party games that transform a run-of-the-mill "get-together" into a hilarious, memorable evening. She is the traveller who can infect even a rather home-bound chap with a desire to breathe the air and walk the land of beautiful new places, even if they are miles away from hearth and home...and she is the photographer who is always, always handy with her digicam, taking snaps of everything that is beautiful...right from the smiles of her friends to the glory of clouds and sunburst.

I learn something from all my friends...so I ask myself now, what have I learnt from Aastha? It's difficult to speak of in an abstract sense, so let me just answer myself with some very concrete examples: I've learnt that there is a whole world of board-games that I was too lazy to bother about earlier, but which I've rediscovered a liking for, once I saw my friend's child-like love for the same, and watched this innocent enthusiasm infect others who had lost this aspect of their childhoods. I've learnt that heartfelt laughter is one of the best sounds that one can listen for especially if you are laughing at yourself. I've learnt that its OK to put your foot in your mouth every once in a while, if you have the courage to admit you made a mistake. [...this could take a while, and it would probably start sounding a little redundant ... maybe even embarrass Aastha, so I'll stop with the "I've learnt"s.]

Let me end by saying that there are few other people in their 20s who will dance in the rain as unreservedly, or value the transient beauty of a rainbow as highly as my friend, Aastha. If this little write-up makes you take note of someone like this in your life, or if it even makes you think about the value that such things have for yourself...well, mission accomplished!

No comments: